Positive Behaviour for Learning (PB4L)
Tamaki College has embraced the PB4L model of positive and constructive reinforcement in the school context.
The basic premises that underpin the PB4L programme are:
- Positive behaviour can be learnt and difficult and disruptive behaviour can be unlearnt.
- Individual children are not a ‘problem’ – we need to change the environment around them to support positive behaviour.
- Punishing and isolating children doesn’t bring about long-term and sustainable changes in behaviour.
- We need to concentrate on a small number of evidence-based programmes and frameworks that we know work.
- There are no quick fixes. Behaviour change takes time.
The PB4L group, led by Kathryn Moore, are overseeing the implimentation of the programme in the life of Tamaki College.